Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Drogba: I almost quit football



Didier Drogba has revealed he almost quit football after falling out of love with the game.The Chelsea striker, who was sent off in last season's Champions League final, endured a difficult summer with constant rumours surrounding his future at the club and says he became hugely disillusioned with life at Stamford Bridge."This summer, I didn't have a head for football anymore," he told France Football. "I had completely lost my fire.

"I didn't want to hear talk of objectives or ambition anymore. I felt completely extinguished.

"For the first time in my career, I lost my passion for football. I was lost.

"Last season could have been terrific and spectacular, in the end it was just a good season which left quite a few regrets."

Drogba has spent most of this season on the bench with Nicolas Anelka preferred in attack by coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.

But the 30-year-old says he still doesn't understand why he cannot play alongside the France international.

"For the moment, I just have to keep quiet," he added. "It's not because I've been here for more than four years that I have the right to have demands on a status of starter.

"At the moment there is a man who is scoring and who is piling up goals. I only have to wait my turn.

"I have always said that I was happy that Nicolas came to Chelsea. But I still don't understand why coaches are scared to play us together."


No comments: